The business can trace its roots back to 1861 when Andries Meyer purchased a number of farms in the Adelaide district and began farming sheep and cattle. A number of years later Harold Morgan likewise purchased the farm Whytebank. In 2011 the current owners of the farms Adrian Meyer and Richard Morgan formed a joint venture partnership to operate all properties as a single business. Strategically they recognized that commercial farms all around the world were becoming bigger and more cost competitive and in order to survive they needed to pool resources into a bigger business. It is believed that this new model of agribusiness represents a new trend in livestock farming in South Africa.